MD Pediatric Associates provides every available resource to make breastfeeding a positive and successful experience for both you and your baby. Our practice offers one of very few area lactation consultants certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners in the Metroplex. Kellie McElhannon, RN, IBCLC is available by appointment at both office locations to mothers and expecting mothers.
Preparing new mothers with prenatal education and counseling to help them establish and sustain breastfeeding, Kellie supports nursing moms at every stage and has extensive training and experience to assist with complex, difficult, and high-risk breastfeeding situations.
Prenatal Lactation Consultation
Before your baby is born, a visit with our lactation consultant will help you get off to a good start with breastfeeding techniques and healthy milk production.
Kellie will also teach you how to:
- Establish a good milk supply once your baby is born
- Avoid common breastfeeding pitfalls
- Network with other breastfeeding moms
- Prepare for any special neonatal care needs
- Plan ahead for how you’ll manage feedings when you’re separated from your baby
Breastfeeding Support From Birth and Beyond
Once your baby is born and you and your newborn begin to explore breastfeeding together, Kellie will be here to answer your questions, provide information and support, help you manage any concerns, or simply reassure you that your baby’s nutritional needs are being met. She will be your on-call resource for assistance with:
- Infant positioning and latch techniques
- Establishing and increasing milk supply
- Overcoming nursing difficulties and health challenges
- Calming a fussy baby
- Expressing and safely storing milk for later use
- Prevention and management of breast pain and engorgement
- Breastfeeding babies who are premature or have special needs
- Nursing multiples
- Strategies to continue breastfeeding when returning to work or school
- Integrating breastfeeding with solid foods for older babies
Whatever your breastfeeding goals, Kellie will help you develop an evidence-based care plan to support them, so you’ll be confident in building your special feeding relationship with your baby.
To schedule an appointment with our board certified lactation consultant, please call 972-420-1475.
"Dr. Forbes and Kellie McElhannon (lactation consultant) were both great. They were very good at explaining things we needed to know. Kellie, especially, was very encouraging in her explanations and advice for breastfeeding techniques."